12 February 2014

Listening to my heart

Since graduating last summer I've been asked the same questions over and over again.
This outlines some of them (and it's quite funny).

"What are  you going to do with your life now?" I'm 22 and I think it is perfectly fine to answer with  'I don't know'. (Please don't look at me confused or disappointed.) I'm still trying to figure out the answer to that myself, but right now I'm taking life as it comes. Each day I'm exploring life and learning something new.

I did a history degree. And no I do not want to go in to a career that has anything to do with history. But nevertheless I chose to study it. I enjoyed it. And I don't regret it.

All I know right now is my heart lies in creating. I'm happiest when photographing, creating and exploring visual art. I want to create. It may not sound right to you. And you're looking at me with the question "what are you going to do with that?!". But for now I will listen to my heart and see where it takes me. And at the time being I'm happy with my part time job (yes a job that has nothing to do with my degree), and spending the rest of my time doing what makes me happy.

Sometimes we spend so much of our time trying to meet everyones expectations that we forget what makes us happy. I've always been surrounded by people with high expectations. And It can be tough trying to meet those expectations. When I was younger I spent too much time trying to please others and not doing what makes me happy. It never made me happier and I felt I was only becoming what others expected me to be. But there comes a point where you have to stop thinking about what 'everyone' else thinks/expects, and focus on what you want. It's difficult to break away and to do what you want to do, but you have to remind yourself that this is your life, and you can't always live your life trying to please others.

And for now I will listen to my heart.

'If you fail, you will be criticised, and if you succeed you will be criticised, you cant make everyone happy. So you may as well do what makes you happy.'


15 comments:

  1. Sorry for this long response, but I can relate completely. Some members of my family have told me on numerous occasions that it's "such a waste of life" that I don't have a career in art. They mean no harm, but really, how is it a waste? I love art. I even started a degree in it. But it didn't make me happy. I liked being free with my art and not confined to the opinions of art teachers, so i dropped out. That didn't go down well. "But what will you DO with your life?!" For the next 60 years?? No idea! I haven't planned that far ahead! I just knew i'd feel my path when it was right. And i did. I ended up getting a different degree and i work in animal conservation, which is what I've always been passionate about. I still do art and photography but its when I want to and when I'm happy doing it. I don't have a strict "life plan" and I've travelled in between work, I've given up work to study more, I've studied and then done something else different afterwards! Life should definitely be about doing what makes you happy, wherever that leads you, even if its against the "norm". Keep on being free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to please others is such a poisoned chalice. If you genuinely believe in and follow your calling, other people will get in line. (and if not, they can get over it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning post, such inspirational words,
    I couldn't agree more with you, I am currently studying theology and feel that my main passion is being creative, and like you I feel my happiest when I'm doing photography
    Thanks for the great post sweetie,
    Keep us updated on your adventures :)
    Lots of love,
    Kate xo

    www.and-kate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written and SO true. I am in the last year of university studying English - it's the last few months for me and for the first time ever I am not stressing about rushing to get a graduate scheme or an internship as I have worried about every other summer (not that grad schemes are particularly plentiful when you study a humanities subject as you know). I have a plan -- quite an 'out-there' probably not very realistic plan but I don't care. It's not the standard go-to-London-work-your-arse-off-to-get-a-badly-paid-job-and-pay-extortionate-amounts-on-rent-just-cause-its-LONDON! route but it's what I want to do and it's a dream and yeah it's a litte far-fetched but at our age when the hell else are we going to do what we want to do?
    Follow your dreams and do what you're doing :) Don't listen to anybody else! You sound like your doing pretty great listening to your heart - as you say.
    Bella xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to your struggle. I'm 23 and I recently graduated with a degree in Mathematics Education, but I'm still not sure that it's worth it to enter a job as stressful as teaching with such little pay. For now I'm just praying about it and trusting that God will lead me where I need to be.
    http://onelittleblackdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are nearly 30 and still trying to figure out 'what to do' every day! So no worries. Just enjoy trying different things! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like others who have commented, I can relate to to desire of creativity. Creating and designing is what makes me happiest and content. I just found your blog, and I will definitely be sharing! The photos you take are amazing!

    www.theaugustjournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can completely understand you. I am doing my second MA right now in Germany. My bachelor and first master i did in Georgia in law field, even worked for a year, but that was not something which fascinated me. I am 23 (that might astonish some people how did I manage so lot when being so young but back then school system allowed to start when you were 5 and continued only 11 years). I am studying environmental governance right now, but even now if you would ask me I could not really tell what I exactly want to do with my life. I have been asked this question so many times, as i come from the developing country, my chance of travelling to europe was always related to get some scholarships (financial aid from different international organizations and donors) and I don't even know myself how did I manage to convince them each time that I was the one to be chosen and that I knew exactly why I needed all this. I am holding DAAD stipendium right now and still as you said I think it is pretty normal at our age to be confused about our priorities and wishes about entire life which is ahead us.


    please check out my new post on http://www.splashesandbeautiful.blogspot.de and follow me here on blogsloving or on http://instagram.com/sophokonjaria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. So inspirational!
    xo, Connie
    www.connnietang.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree more! Sometimes after college everyone expects you to have everything figured out and it's okay to not know where things are going to lead but to just live and see.
    http://www.thepartydiy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I totally understand!! Keep being happy! :) x

    www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was such a gorgeous post. I couldn't agree more with everything you said!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very much in the exact same boat - and I agree completely.

    People will always have something to say, will never be satisfied so doing whats important to you is the most important.

    bec x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I'm Jen, new reader! I stumbled upon your blog though the comments of other blogs I follow. I was immediately drawn to this photo because of the beauty and composition! It's spectacular!

    Then I read the post! You took the words right out of my mouth! I look forward to reading things from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete